Back in 2012, I shared the recipe for my Thanksgiving Leftover Make Over: Cranberry Muffins. I hope you’ve been able to give them a try. But to be honest, I’ve made them for so many years after Thanksgiving that this year I had to go in a different direction. Sort of.
I had made a raw cranberry relish for Thanksgiving this year (2014) and had a surplus of it on hand. Not that it wasn’t good mind you, I just had been overzealous and made WAY too much of it. So I had to use it up before it began to ferment. (:
“Cranberry Bunt Cake with Cream Cheese Swirl” was my way of using the raw relish and not making the usual muffin. So I hope you enjoy!
Actually, this kind of goes without saying but this is a Whole Grain recipe!
Preheat Oven to 350. Grease and lightly flour Bunt Cake pan.
- 1/2 Stick Butter
- 1/4 Cup Coconut Oil
- 1/2 Cup Sugar or Evaporated Cane Crystals
- 1/2 Cup Packed Light Brown Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Cups Freshly Milled *All Purpose Flour or **Cake Flour
- 2 tsp Aluminum Free Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
**Cake Flour would be 100% Soft White Wheat
- 8 oz (1 pkg) Softened Cream Cheese
- 1/4 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1/4 tsp Almond Extract
- 1/2 Cup Cranberry Relish of your choice
I like to make the filling first because it has no rising agent so it can ‘sit’ without affecting the outcome better than the cake batter could. So…
Cranberry Cream Cheese Filling Instructions:
- In the WonderMix with the whips or with a hand mixer combine soft cream cheese and powdered sugar until smooth and fluffy. Then while still beating add egg and almond extract.
- Turn of the beaters and using a spatula fold in your cranberry relish until mixture is blended evenly. Set aside to use in construction of middle layer of Cranberry Bunt Cake.
- In a large bowl, cream together the Butter and Coconut Oil until well blended and smooth.
- Add sugars 1/4 Cup at a time and blend well each time before adding the next 1/4 cup.
- Add eggs one at a time blending each egg well before adding next egg.
- Add Vanilla and blend until smooth.
- Sift together Flour, Baking Powder and Sea Salt into a separate bowl.
- Beat into butter/sugar mixture until well blended.
- Optional (I did) add up to 1/4 Cup of Cranberry Relish to the batter at this time.
- In a greased and lightly floured bunt cake pan place about 1/3 of the batter to fill the bottom.
- Now layer in all of the Cranberry Cream Cheese Filling that was previously made and set aside.
- Top with remaining Cake Batter.
- After final layer of cake batter has been finished. Use a wooden skewer or butter knife and run it down into the batter, drawing out in ‘stripes’ from the center tube out to the edges (this helps to lift the swirl up through the whole cake) Look closely pictured below:
- Bake in center of preheated oven 45-55 minute until cake tester (aka: a toothpick) comes out clean from center.
Keep under glass dome, lock and key, armed guard, whatever it takes to keep it around to enjoy.
I say this because just a short 20 minutes after this photo was taken, half of my Cranberry Bunt Cake with Cream Cheese Swirl prototype was GONE! **gasp**