When I started milling at home, the pizzas became whole wheat and always made from scratch. No more take-out for us! Look for that recipe coming up soon.
Oddly, however, it never popped into my mind that I could make a far healthier and just as tasty dessert pizza as you might find on one of the Pizza Hut buffets. So the other night… we gave it a go and were more than pleasantly surprised with the outcome! The ingredients are simple and the end product can be versatile based on what you have canned, fresh or frozen. It’s as easy as…pie….well, pizza pie, to be precise.
Mill some Hard White Wheat (we like white wheat for desserts because it does not have as strong of a wheat-y flavor). Now select your method and preferred kitchen gadget (or hands) and let’s make a Quick & Easy Whole Grain Dessert Pizza!
- 1 ½ Cups Warm Water
- 6 TBS Organic Evaporated Cane Crystals
- 2 TBS Coconut Oil
- 4 Cups Freshly Milled Hard Wheat Flour
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- ½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 ½ tsp Instant Active Yeast
- Bread Machine Method: Place all ingredients in the machine in order given. Make a ‘well’ for the yeast and put in the ‘well’. Set to dough or pizza dough setting. Machine should punch down after first rise.
- Food Processor Method: Use ‘S’ Blade. Place all dry ingredients in the food processor. Turn to pulsing while drizzling in the oil. Stop when mixed in. Now turn on and leave on drizzling in the water until dough forms a ‘ball’. Let ‘ball’ clean the sides and round the bowl between 20-25 times.
- Place in greased bowl, cover and put in a warm place (85 degrees) until doubled in size.
- Mixer & Hand Methods: Mix yeast in with the flour and set aside. Mix all other ingredients in a large bowl until blended. Mix one cup of flour mixture in at a time until all incorporated. Knead 3-5 minutes until 2 finger poke test bounces back quickly. Place in greased bowl, cover and put in a warm place (85 degrees) until doubled in size.
- Forming: Divide sweet dough in half and roll out either by hand or with rolling pin until the pizza dough is your desired thickness and diameter. Bake both and put one in the freezer for a future Whole Grain Dessert Pizza made even easier! Just make sure you mark that it is sweet.
- Topping: Top with your choice of pie filling from a can, frozen/thawed fruit, cream cheese and fruit layered on top and just about any fruity, cream cheesy combination you would like to try. Some favorites are apple pie filling, blueberries in cream cheese and our favorite, cherry pie.
- Make a struddle topping out of ½ C whole oats, ½ Cup freshly milled whole wheat, 2 TBS brown sugar and 6 TBS of softened butter or coconut oil. Mix all together until crumbly and sprinkled over the fruit topping.
- Baking: Bake at 400 degrees on the middle rack until crust is done. Approximately 18-23 minutes.
- Frosting: Mix ½ to 1 Cup of Powdered Sugar with 1 tsp lemon juice and 1tsp water. Add water a drop at a time until right constancy.
- Let the Whole Grain Dessert Pizza cool a while before icing - or it will melt right into the fruity goodness and you'll not get the full joy of knowing it's there!