This is one of my favorite recipes for a hearty, hot whole grain breakfast on a cold winter morning.
There are a few keys to making this this hearty super tasty 7-grain hot cereal:
1. The varied coarseness you get from each type of grain when grinding in the Wondermill Jr. Deluxe
2. Soaked grain nutrition (easier digestion and creaminess)
3. Using the Slow Cooker for it the night before (easy to wake up to a hot breakfast)
- 1/4 C Course Ground Corn Meal
- 1/4 C Course Ground Brown Rice
- 1/2 C Gluten Free Rolled Oats*
- 2 TBS Course Ground **Buckwheat (if toasted it’s Kasha)
- 2 TBS Quinoa
- 2 TBS Amaranth Seed
- 2 TBS Millet
- Dash of Sea Salt
- Approx 2 Cups of nut milk
- Vanilla Extract (optional)
- 1 TBS Pecan Pieces (or nut of your choice)
- 1 TBS Cranberries (or dried fruit of your choice)
- 1 tsp Extra Virgin Cold Pressed Raw Coconut Oil
- 1 TBS Hemp Hearts (optional)
- Agave Nectar or Maple Syrup to top.
Mid-day grind each grain separately in your Wondermill Jr. Deluxe and combine the first 12 ingredients to soak all day in an UNPLUGGED crock pot.
The night before you hope to enjoy this as breakfast simply add 1/2 to 3/4 Cup of water to your crock pot, stir and turn on to low (8 to 10hrs) and cover.
The next morning enjoy! Add coconut oil and if needed, more nut milk for consistency sake. Serve in a bowl topped with any one of the remaining ingredients to your liking (or make up your own toppings).
Get your bowl, agave nectar or maple syrup…dish out this 7 Grain Super Tasty Hot Cereal and enJOY!
Best Blessings, Donna Miller
*Oats may contain trace a gluten if you cannot find gluten free oats simply omit and reduce liquid or replace with 1/4 C of ground corn or rice or 1/8 C of each.
**In the photos I had raw buckwheat (hulls/husks still on). That does tend to give the cereal a very strong, almost bitter taste. My favorite buckwheat of choice is either a toasted (kasha) or hulled/de-hulled (hulls removed) buckwheat which is a light tan/golden color and has a far milder flavor.