There’s nothing like REAL food…that’s REAL good…and REALLY good for you!
- Carrots are veggies – check!
- Pineapple is a fruit – check!
I’d say this is a case of having your (whole wheat carrot) cake and eating it too!
This recipe came about when I realized we had an over-abundance of carrot pulp after we had begun juicing our carrots for juice. Not being one to throw away anything that would be potentially edible, I froze the carrot pulp. And boy, now I’m glad I did!
First – mill 2 Cups of Soft White Wheat in your Wondermill or Wondermill Jr. Deluxe…..
Now assemble the ingredients so that you know you have a is a full cast of characters before you start the party… nothing worse than getting half way there to find out you’re missing a key player or two….like I forgot to place buttermilk and baking soda in the ingredients picture. They were a little late to the party.
- 2 cups freshly milled soft white wheat flour
- 1 TBS ground golden flax seed
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 Cup Organic Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1 Cup finely chopped carrot or carrot pulp from juicing carrots
- 1/2 Cup can crushed pineapple (drained of juice – juice set aside)
- 1 Cup pineapple juice (yes, you just drained this)
- 1/2 Cup Fat Free buttermilk
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1/4Cup Egg whites (or one egg)
- 1/4 Cup melted Coconut Oil
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
Mix all your dry ingredients (not carrot or pineapple they are moist) in a large bowl and combine with a whisk or a fork.
Mix all your wet ingredients (again not carrot or pineapple – they are moist) and mix until well combined.
Then stir the carrot pulp into the wet ingredients. After that toss the crushed pineapple in to coat by the dry ingredients.
- 2 (8oz blocks) Low-fat Cream Cheese – softened
- 1/2 C Honey or Agave Nector or Powdered Sugar
- 1/4 C Milk, Almond Milk or cream
Combine and whip with an electric mixer. Spread on top of sheet cake once it has completely cooled. Slice and serve!